Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Gremlins

This morning, I had the solid proof that I needed. Gremlins had definitely moved into my apartment.

When I had originally lost my bracelet, I was upset but I put down its disappearance to my carelessness. I knew it was somewhere in the apartment. When I told my mother that it had gone, she put my mind to rest, "You're always losing that bracelet." This is true. I decided then that I could stop pulling my apartment apart and it would show up. I am still waiting for one silver bracelet to reappear on my dresser.

The next item that moved was my salami. I was making lunch and went to grab my meat out of the fridge. It was gone. I rummaged through the fridge and started to panic. I had changed the garbage yesterday, perhaps I had . . . . I stopped myself. There was no way I had thrown out half a pack of lunch meat. Utterly confused, I pulled open various cupboards and looked down the side of counters. Then in desperation, I pulled open the freezer - voila. Salami. I was dumbstruck.

Then the other day, I went to make lunch again. This time tuna. It was the only meat suitable for lunch that I had in the house. There was nothing else. To my horror, I could not locate the can opener. It wasn't in any of the places that it could possibly be. In a last ditch hope, I rang my friend, "Did I take the can opener camping? and more to the point, do you have it?" Only good friends can deal with being accused of stealing your can opener at eight in the morning. She had not seen it. It was and still is gone. I had PB&J for lunch.

My marking pen is still MIA but I haven't checked under all the furniture to see if my cat has quarantined it somewhere. I know she has adopted the bath stopper. It was last seen flying down the sitting room with my cat in hot pursuit.

Then this morning, one of my shirts went missing. Panic-stricken I searched high and low for it. It finally emerged. It was hanging behind one of my dresses on my door. Due to the organized nature of my wardrobe, there is no way it should have ever ended up where it was. (and I am serious, my wardrobe is organised, thanks to forest fires in Australia.)

That's when it came to me, Gremlins. I have been invaded. Perhaps if I'm nice to them, they'll reveal the location of my can opener.

No comments: