Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Ma Jupe Favorite

It's been a long time since I had what I could unequivocally say was my favourite skirt. Favourite skirts aren't like any other item of clothing. I know that my favourite sweater will make me feel better when I'm not feeling well and that my favourite jeans are as comfortable as can be, but a special skirt is much more.

At first glance it seems rather simple, nothing to write home about. And then the wearer moves. The skirt gracefully swishes as she walks and then as she descends a staircase, the skirt catches the wind ever so slightly and flutters up so that it floats. The skirt is fluid.

Most little girls know the type of dress or skirt. It's the type where they stick their arms out and twirl around. And as they spin, the dress comes up and out so that they look like a spinning flower. They instinctively understand that a dress with more movement is much more fun - plus it has the added bonus that you can run in it without much effort. A straight skirt is a serious impediment on the playground.

Recently, such a skirt made its way into my closet. It drapes very softly. It swishes just so. It floats upon a staircase. It's wool so it's horribly practical for winter. It's the type of skirt that ensures a good day. Everything could go wrong that day but the fact that you are wearing a special skirt will give you a little glow inside.

I can't remember what I did at work today. I know I "moved things" and I "sent things up" and that I accomplished something. I do know however that I wore my special skirt, and that when I twirled in the bathroom, it spun out, just enough. I had a fabulous day. I wore my favourite skirt.

No comments: