Thursday, February 07, 2008

Shirt Making VIIII

The problem with using Roman numerals is that when you approach the X, it's taken too long to do whatever you're doing. No list should hit X.

My shirt now has two finished cuffs. One was finished a long time ago. The other one is newly finished. I wish I could say that it was done without a hitch. It wasn't. As the fabric is gray and all the seams are flat felled. I can't tell the wrong side from the right side unless I look at the plackets. I edge-stitched the cuff and the line was a bit wonky. It wasn't wonky enough to justify ripping it out, not when I was determined to press on. Then I realised that I had sewn on the wrong side so that the seam had to come out. The new seam, sewn correctly, was an awesome seam. I was glad that I had to redo it.

Tonight I have attached the collar. It's not quite finished. I have to press, trim the seam, press again and then edge-stitch. The instructions called for the inside of the collar stand to have one side sewn up - an effective hem. However, hemming anything curved invariably leads to a pucker. I couldn't tell why this seam needed to be sewn there so omitted that stage. So far so good. However, I shall soon find out if that was a mistake.

All that remains is the hem and the buttons. Hems don't count. They're not difficult. Buttonholes and buttons do count. Screw up a button hole and you've screwed the entire garment up. Sewing buttons on by hand takes forever. I'm always scared that I won't sew them on tight enough. The whole process calls for a stiff drink.

No comments: