Thursday, October 18, 2007

Old Vienna II

My new cookbook is fantastic, in just about all senses of the word. I'm already planning when I can spring the recipes on some unsuspecting guests.

You want a recipe for frog's legs? I have two.

You've always wondered how to cook eel, I can tell you how to cook them in beer or serve it smoked in a salad.

You're about to serve deviled eggs at a buffet or luncheon. How passe. Why you can do better than that! What about eggs stuffed with caviar, shrimp, smoked salmon, or goose liver pate? or even sardines or anchovies? or asparagus , if strikes your fancy?

I can tell you how to clarify your stocks for soup, both simply and with a bit more effort.

I know how to cook guinea hens, pheasants and quail.

I have a recipe for a Meringue to beat all Meringues. Let's just say it's constructed over a period of days and I wouldn't want to be in charge of cutting it.

I've learned that if you add some form of alcohol and light it, it makes a difference. (Case in point, broil mushrooms brushed with butter, then stick them in a pan, add brandy and flame it.) Cream is to be added to everything of which you can think and that eggs are in endless supply. These are the types of recipes you wouldn't dare use margarine instead of butter. Somehow you know that it wouldn't quite work.

I'm dying to try individual portion souffles cooked in tomatoes. I can make souffle so I think I can handle it.

Or for a simple option, Cheese Toast I - quickly dip 6 slices of 2-day old bread in white wine, place in a baking dish, cover with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan with 1 beaten egg and salt and pepper to taste, dot with butter and pop in a moderate oven (350F) until it is golden brown.

I mean, really why not? Other than lacking two key ingredients, I'd have tried it on the spot.

I now have a giant bottle of red plonk gracing my counter tops, for cooking purposes only. I've learned that a dash of wine will make the difference. I made a meat pie based on phone instructions from my Mum with a Viennese twist. I added a good slosh of red wine and used real butter. It was fabulous and I almost cried when it was gone.

This is definitely my favourite cook book.

No comments: