Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Guilty Pleasure

I have discovered a new magazine. It's glossy and it's about fashion. It really isn't new but it's new to me. Like most fashion magazines, there are the nice shots of models, the clothes that you try and figure out when and where you could get away with wearing something like that and then you wonder where you could buy it.

Here's the kicker. You can't buy it anywhere. The wonderful dress that would be perfect for the office. Yep, you can't buy it. But you can make it. That's right for under $10 you get lots and lots of patterns for new and fashionable clothing.

My pet peeve with sewing was the patterns. They weren't on the cutting or leading edge of fashion. They weren't even remotely near the latest fashion. You'd read that romantic blouses were the item for Spring in Vogue and do you think you could find a pattern? If you wanted to make something, you had better be ready to make something classic. It was the only way you were going to wear it.

Then I found the Burda magazine. It's European and it's up-to-date fashion. Which means, drum roll please, that in Canada, you can make clothing that is ahead of the fashion curve. Sixties clothing, men's styling, bright gemstone colours, yep, I've got them all. My mother found the magazine about the time that I did. She found it in Polish. She sent it to me anyway. I missed last month. I found it in French. I have a French dictionary and a French-English dictionary. I thought I could figure it out. I bought it. I paid more for it than I would have for the English version. I didn't care.

The magazine shows you all the styles in multiple variations. Then in the middle of the magazine, it gives you the instructions on how to put the garment together and the pattern pieces. You have to trace the pattern pieces out and add your own seam allowance. But when out-dated patterns cost $15 or more (depending on the sale at your local Fabricland), I'm willing to put up with a little inconvenience to get about forty different patterns. Especially when I want to make them all.


For instance: I could make this coat - if I could afford the fabric.

Need I say more?




No comments: