Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Where did they all come from?

It struck me today that my life can easily be split in two: that which I have accomplished and that which I have yet to tackle. I wish that I was taking about major life goals, such as getting a PhD, or running a marathon. I'm not. I'm talking about coconut milk, rose water, and corn syrup; silks, wools and cottons in various patterns and colours; ribbons and thread; and more, much more.

I went to take a can out when I discovered the coconut milk. I know when I bought it. It was some time ago. I wanted to make Thai. I needed coconut milk to do so. I bought the coconut milk, put it away and promptly decided to ignore its existence. I would make Thai in my own sweet time - when I was good and ready. The can still sits there waiting for me. The potato flour next to the coconut milk had lain waiting for quite some time. It was to make bread. It is now open as I have tackled making bread. I wouldn't say that I have accomplished a wonderful loaf but I have tried. The corn syrup however is still waiting. It is waiting for me to start making candy again. Making candy is a winter activity in my mind. Standing over boiling sugar in the summer just seems silly. You want to steam the place up when its cold and dry.

The rose water has been used. I used it to make a dessert. My aunt also has rose water. She hasn't used it. She won't let my uncle throw it out. He doesn't understand. But her and I both know - one day, she will have a recipe or the urge to use it and she will need it right then. Right now, it represents a well stocked kitchen and the possibility of doing great things, an opportunity waiting to happen.

I have numerous sewing projects started. The lack of progress I blame on my sewing machine and my cat. My sewing machine for having suddenly stopped working properly. The tension is off. My cat hinders my cutting out efficiency by lying on top of the fabric and the pieces. She swats and attacks the scissors. She loves sewing. She has even discovered that lying on top of the fabric while it is being sewn is fun. When I used cheap fabrics, she never ever tried this stunt. This stunt is new and coincides with the purchase of expensive quality fabrics. She loves silk, she loves wool and she makes do with cotton.

I have numerous other projects on the go, waiting for their turn to be dusted off and re-attacked. I have a treadle sewing machine in parts waiting to be reassembled.

Yet I have several skirts that I wear that I made. They are accomplished. I have several needle-points that I have finished. They are accomplished. I have tried to make some interesting edible things and inflicted them on all my friends. I still have friends - the same friends. This is an accomplishment. I have finished my transcribing for my paper. This is the start of an accomplishment.

Perhaps this New Year's while everyone makes their resolution list, I too will make a list. While other people list such things as "Lose ten pounds. Clean the bath tub regularly. Go to the Gym. Be on time. Be nice to children and small animals, regularly," my list will be different. It will state, "Bell Pull. Afghan. 3 shirts. 3 Dresses. 1 pair of pants. 2 coats. Ribbon Picture. Taffy. Jellies. Running chassis. Mending. Clean bath tub." Suddenly it all becomes clear. The first item on my list will be "No new projects." My goal is now to start tackling, so that I shall have more accomplished.

No comments: