Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Miracles Do Happen

Sometimes lightening hits the same spot twice. It happens. It is possible, although not likely plausible that you could win the lottery and never have to work again. But I would like to argue that what gives you a greater sense of satisfaction and is even less likely to occur than these events is the ability to make a special dish by having the appropriate ingredients on hand without pre-mediation.

This rare and utterly satisfying event happened this week-end. I was browsing a cookbook in a local culinary shop. I knew that I was having a roast chicken for dinner but I had not determined the details. I glanced upon a recipe that talked about grapes and chicken and kept flipping. Then later in the store, it struck me that I had grapes at home. They had come with my latest basket. I also had a recipe for chicken and grapes in my Venetian cook book.

When I got home, I pulled out the recipe book and looked up the recipe. I needed a chicken - check. I had a chicken. I needed white seedless grapes - amazingly enough check. I needed white wine - check, I currently have red and white plonk for cooking. Cream - check, it had been on sale and I had scooped some up. Lastly, I needed large amounts of parsley - check, I had bought it on a whim. I had everything I needed. I was in slight shock. Who has all those ingredients on hand just because?

The recipe was easy. Roast the chicken, basting it with butter and wine. Mix the pan juices, chicken stock, cream, parsley and grapes together. Serve with the chicken. It was pretty. It tasted wonderful. But I knew it would. Anything that calls for an odd assortment of ingredients that you just happen to have on hand is going to taste fabulous. It's like what winning the lottery would taste like - when you didn't buy a ticket.

No comments: