Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I've turned designer (again)

I discovered today that I am a sucker for tissue paper and paper bags.

There is a fabric store near my work which shatters all previous conceptions of the genre. It sells the equivalent of designer clothing but in raw form. The store is designed on the same premise as an edgy boutique and oozes sophistication. On my lunch, I"ll go in and wander around, finger the cloth and weave designs in my mind. I"ll sit on the black leather couch and thumb the pattern books. Luckily, I had not found a pattern and then wandered around looking for the fabric. Until today.

My new summer wardrobe purchase was going to consist of three summer dresses: the ultimate wash, dry and go dresses. If I found the perfect one, I was going to buy it in different colours. I was leaning towards a shirtdress. I've never tried one on but I'm convinced it would be flattering. It has to be. I've just invested in one and I have yet to try it on. It's still in the concept stage.

I went for my periodic fabric wander today. The weather was warm and the birds were singing, I was feeling spring. I wandered through the bolts and then I sat down and started thumbing through the books. I was looking for a shirt dress. I found one. I went and asked the proprietor of the store about the pattern. He's a designer. He knows stuff. We went and looked at the cotton and linen. We discussed the relative merits of fun versus elegance. We went with elegant and cotton. He showed me a fabric that was gorgeous. He's using it in his spring line. I've never fallen in love with a fabric before. I fell hard. I emerged long enough to try and find a cheaper fabric but as is always the same, false economy will cost you dear. The cheaper fabric was going to shrink in the wash so I was going to need more of it. In the end it was going to cost the same amount. I breathed deep and I heard myself say "I'll take the other one."

What!?!

I've spent more on fabric then I have ever spent in my life. He folded it up carefully, put the thread and pattern on top and wrapped it in tissue paper. He taped the ends like a present and put it in a white paper bag. As soon as it went into tissue paper, I knew he cared about the details. Expensive things come wrapped in tissue paper. Delicate things come wrapped in tissue paper. I'd just invested in both.

I walked out oozing the promise of sophistication and elegance. I almost freaked out when I got home but it's wrapped in tissue paper. This is not fabric. This is the start of a beautiful creation. I'm going to do a mock first. I'm not ruining this fabric. This dress will be perfect and I"m going to be living in it this summer. I'm making three total and I know which fabric I'm investing in next. The cheaper one which isn't.

He's promised to help me when I come in freaking out. I can call for help - Kim, shirtdress, they'll know me. He's promised it will press like a dream. He warned me to take my time and then he winked. He's good. He knows stuff. He wraps his fabric in tissue paper.

See Darrell Thomas link.

No comments: