Wednesday, June 04, 2008

New Sewing Machine II

Someone wanted to see a picture of the new machine so that we could celebrate - even though I don't like electrics. I don't like collecting electrics that is. And getting an electric when I thought I was getting a hand crank . . . well, it's just not the same.

The new sewing machine is a bit of a mystery. One of the first things I did was to look up its serial code on Singer's site. This makes it around a 1904 - and it has a shuttle not a bobbin.



However, it had the plate of what I consider an electric from the 1920's to have.


And there's the fact that it looks like an electric and electrics for the home didn't become common until the 1920's:


I'm mystified by the shuttle. I have a treadle machine and it has a bobbin similar to what you find in today's machines. However, it's a White not a singer. I also have a handy little motor to motorize your treadle sewing machine and it's not like this.

So I think it's an original electric and something's odd with its serial number.

(The machine works - once we replaced the plug.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey pictures, great! It is a very cute machine and looks in good condition too, so your buy wasn't so bad afterall. Now, what to do with a shuttle bobbin. I wouldn't know how to start filling one of those 'bullets'.
Does it make a pretty stitch?

It is really nice, maybe keep it for a deco if you can't bear to use an electric.