Monday, June 02, 2008

New Sewing Machine

Surprise bags. Unknown value. As a kid, they got me every time. They had a set price and an unknown content, albeit within a certain category. The candy ones contained candy. It was up to you to avoid choosing the bag with the sucker. The ones from a hair and accessories shop would contain that. It was by only by carefully sorting through the bags taking the time to feel them, shake them and gauge their heaviness that you would arrive at a decision. You then forked over your cash and ripped open the bag. I got enough good stuff to keep me going back.

I have decided that I have enough treadle sewing machines for now. The size of my living quarters has imposed this decision on me. So it was with some interest that I noted the prevalence of table top models so far this year at garage sales. However, they were electric so I was not interested. Old electrics don't interest me. By the time they were electric, they had stopped being pretty and had become utilitarian.

I was browsing through one garage sale, noting the lack of anything remotely interesting. It was mainly tools and tool related things. Then I spotted a table top sewing machine with a cover. It could be an electric or it could be a hand crank. I wandered over and pulled on the cover. Nothing. So I looked for the latch. Still nothing. As I'm poking away at the cover trying to locate how it was attached to the base, the seller came over. "It's locked," he said slowly. "I'm not sure where the key is. I had it somewhere."

I looked at him. It was clearly locked and it clearly needed a key.

"Perhaps we can find a screw driver" he continued." Someone else went off to find the screw driver. The old locking mechanisms are simplistic. As long as you can jamb something down the hole that will turn, then you can unlock it. After a bit, the person came back. The smallest screwdriver they had was not small enough. I knew that I could get it open at home. I just needed to know what was inside.

"What's it look like?" I asked.

The man gave me a funny look, "It's black and it says Singer on it. "

"Is it in good shape?"

"Yes, that's why I bought it. It makes a nice decorative piece."

"Is it a hand crank?"

"Yes."

I looked at the cover. Beneath it lay a hand crank sewing machine of unknown quality. It was marked $20. I hummed and hawed briefly. I had no idea what it looked like but it was a hand crank. I don't yet have a hand crank. They're as pretty as the treadles but take up much less space.

"Give you $15."

"Done."

So I marched off with my new sewing machine. Once I got it home, I got out the sewing machine screw drivers and choose one at random. I stuck it in the lock at and turned. I heard the satisfying click as it unlocked. Success on the first try.

With great ceremony I pulled off the cover to discover

it was a blimey electric.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So where is the picture so we can celebrate....even though you don't like old electrics. Try a Necchi Supernova BU, quiet and strong and kind of cute.....I am not sold on their looks either. It's the sound of a quiet strong motor that turns me on...LOL...and knowing that once I oil them...Berninas, Elnas and Necchis,and the Pfaff 130)...as long as they are in good condition....will SEW once threaded without the stress factor.