Saturday, August 18, 2007

Shirt Making VI

I have discovered a problem. My fabric has no clear right nor wrong side. I am flat flelling all the seams. I can't tell which is the right and which is the wrong side of my shirt. It all looks the same. I would be pleased that the inside of the shirt is going to be so nice, but I'm scared of making a mistake due to getting my right and wrong sides incorrect.

The shirt now has an arm. The sleeve had pleats but I think they got placed wrong so I ripped them out and will place them where I think they should go. I don't think there isn't a seam that I haven't ripped out. I'm so determined to get my stitching straight and even that the slightest deviation is becoming grounds for starting again. The flat flelling also means that every seam has to be sewn twice. Making shirts is not a quick process.

Ripping out seams would not be a problem except that my stitching size is 1.5 and everything is gray. I brought in my shirt to show my teacher. His comment was "#^%&!" He covered his mouth and looked at me, "I'm sorry, but those are really tiny stitches. You can't rip those out." "Actually, you can. I've been doing it all week-end." Would I do it again? Probably not, but I'm not having different sized stitches on my shirt.

My mother's comment on the whole thing was to shake her head and to mock me, "Yeah, I can't see but I can rip out tiny stitches." This was followed by a crash course in the appropriate stitch length for different fabrics. This is the lady who refused to teach me to make bobbin lace due to the damage it would cause my eyes. It took several years of concentrated lobbying before I was allowed to get the books and equipment out. At my last eye appointment, my eyes had started to stabilize. I plan to be done this shirt well enough in advance of my next appointment to give my eyes a chance to recover.

In the mean time, I have hopes of attaching a cuff without having to rip out any seams. Perhaps I'll even give it another arm.

No comments: