Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Done!

I finished my dress.

It looks awesome.

I wore it to work today and then as promised, I went round to Darrell's to show off my finished product. Last time I was in, I was told that the next time they saw me, I had to be wearing my dress. Denise told me that if I just put my mind to it, I could finish it this past week-end. She was right.

Darrell made all the right noises. He called a fellow customer to have a look. "This is her first time using professional fabric and she was so nervous when she bought it. But look, absolutely fabulous." He made a running commentary as I rotated - "Fits nicely, like the way you've worn the collar, buttons are perfectly spaced . . ." (Collar was at an angle appropriate for attitude. I think the buttonholes are actually out a few sixteenths of an inch in some places but who's measuring?)

I love this store. They push me to do things that I am unsure I can accomplish and they make the correct sounds when I get it right. They're also willing to help me along the way and if I am willing to hear the criticism, then they'll tell me when I get it wrong. I was in there multiple times asking for clarification on the pattern, choosing buttons, getting more thread, having the arms checked yet again, etc. I realised that this was a process that took two months. I am very proud of the fact that I finished it. I have too many unfinished projects in my past.

I asked where Denise was so that I could show her. She was the one who had told me to wear it in. She wasn't there. Darrell paused for a few seconds. "I have my digital camera. Hang on, I'll take a picture and e-mail her tonight. She'll be so excited."

And there in the middle of the shop, with my back to the bolts of fabric for contrast, I had my picture snapped. In what other shop, do they take your picture to show the assistant who isn't there?

"Did you get lots of compliments?", he asked.

"I work mainly with guys," I replied, "no."

"Then they're idiots."

I love this store.

No comments: