Monday, June 25, 2007

K(apital)

I've come to the conclusion that sewing is heavily capital intensive. In most people's minds you need some fabric, some thread and a needle. If you're really into it, then you get a sewing machine. I've been mucking about in the hobby for a while so I knew it wasn't quite that simple. Then I decided I wanted to do it properly. I had vague ideas about using better fabric and taking my time.

Oh how could I be so naive? I should have known better. My father is a mechanic. Since I can remember, I've been told there is a tool for every job. As with anything, if you want to do it right, then you'd better use the right tools. I just didn't realise there was so many correct tools. I have seen the tools my mother has for sewing, but I hadn't taken on board that I too might need them - all of them.

The first step was getting a new iron. My five dollar garage sale iron was no qualified for the job. My 1950's garage sale ironing board though is. It's big and it's heavy. I love it, as I can press to my heart's content without it protesting. The iron on the other hand needed to be upgraded. I hung out in the iron aisle on the cell to my mother - thank goodness for cheap long distance - trying to find the best iron for what I needed. This went down as a capital expense. I'm still trying to decided how many years it will be amortized over.

Then, I had to get a cover for the base of my iron, so that I could blast the fabric with the highest heat and steam setting without burning holes in it. I am now terrified of the power my iron possesses. I have the potential to melt fabric so that it disappears.

Then I had to get a clapper so that I could blast steam into all the seams with my new iron on its highest setting, covered with its new base and then smash the clapper into the seam so that they remain forever pressed. The idea is to frighten the seam so much that it becomes petrified and can't move.

Then I had to get a shoulder pressing board for doing all the annoying seams. I am now strongly tempted to make everything sleeveless. Sleeves are annoying to set, they're aggravating to sew, they're a pain to press. Sleeves are over-rated.

I thought I was good for a while. No more equipment necessary. There were a few things that I would like, for instance a dress form but that was on the wish list not the need list.

Then I bought silk.

Suddenly I needed new and finer pins and needles.

I wanted to slightly alter the pattern.

Then I needed a french curve.

I'm waiting for tracing paper and the tracing wheel to come back in stock.

Then I signed up for a shirt making class.

Then I absolutely needed a point turner - it's no longer appropriate to jab at the corners with the longest pointiest object you have on hand. Who knew? Then there was fray away. I don't know what it does but it looks like glue. I found out that a seam ripper is not used for cutting button holes as well. There's a special tool for that. The seam ripper had worked for me until now. I expect much better button holes from here on in. I have a special tool for it.

There's a collar pressing board that I have yet to get.

I think next time I go to the store, I'll just wave my hands at the wall and proclaim, "I'll take it all. I'm sick of buying it a piece at a time."

But I have nowhere to store all the wretched stuff. Which means I now need a sewing box.

1 comment:

JuliaR said...

You wrote: " a seam ripper is not used for cutting button holes as well. There's a special tool for that."

I confess to using a small utility knife that I appropriated from my husband.
tiny knife photo
I think I will have to make a blog entry about that now to explain it all.