Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Off-road

My favourite question to ask the bike shops was , "How off-road can you take it?"

The answer varied by store and by bike but the general consensus was not very. They all wanted to know how off-road I wanted to take it. Not having had a bike in Ottawa, I couldn't tell them. Ah, well then, they all seemed to imply, you live in Ottawa, you'll use the bike paths. Why do you care?

Well now I can tell them. It's exactly because I live in Ottawa and I use the bike paths that I need a bike that can go off-road.

On my first ride on the bike paths, I took the path by the Rideau River. I didn't want to return by the same route I'd taken, so I was pleased when the path came to a bridge that I could cross which had a path returning up the other side of the river.

The paved path soon turned into a wide dirt track. I could tell immediately that it was a pedestrian worn path - I'd helped to beat a few of them myself back home. I kept going. It turned into a dirt track the width of a bike. At this point, if I didn't stay with the river, I was lost. So I kept going. I navigated around the tree roots and the large rocks jutting out of the ground. I went across grass parks and the path returned - with more rocks and roots. Then it went into a wooded area, in which I discovered fallen trees and a hill with rocks and more roots. It's a good job my bike is light for lifting over and under trees and up rocky hills. Eventually the off-road course joined back to the bike path by sending you back over the river.

So yes, I live in Ottawa and I ride the bike paths.

I need a bike that will go off-road.

Otherwise, I'm not getting home.

1 comment:

JuliaR said...

I got to your blog through Darrell Thomas's newsletter and have spent some nice time reading previous entries. I haven't bought any DT fabric in a while because I haven't had the money but I have a beautiful piece of designer wool still uncut. I will be making a suit out of it, in anticipation of getting a new job that I haven't even been offered yet. Maybe that will be the trick I need to get a job - make the beautiful suit! I might even go shopping there now, inspired as I am, and get something to make a shirt to go with the suit.

I also BIKE! And my husband and I are getting our first tandem so you may see us wobbling along the Ottawa bike paths. Be sure to say hello when you do.